Monday, October 6, 2014

Research Blog #2: Scouting the Territory



1)  Since researching my subject, I decided to mostly focus on the G.I bill, conscription in the United States and in other foreign countries. I decided on these two subjects as they have a correlation between students attending school, and the government providing funds for its soldiers. This topic will suit me better as I have some experience and prior knowledge when it comes to be conscripted into the army, and being given a stipend education as benefit.

2) While searching online for my subject, I came across several sources for my research paper. I found information on the G.I Bill, and lists of countries that require their citizens to either enlist into the military or some other form of national service. I was able to find many sources that mentioned how different countries paid back its conscripted citizens, which will be the epicenter of my research paper.

3) Most articles that I found through Rutgers Library mostly focused on the G.I bill and the benefits they offer to active and discharged soldiers. I am hoping that I will be able to pull up some information about the draft in the United States and how its correlation to how it played a roll in educating returning soldiers in the 1960's and 1970's.

4) The important issues that came up in my research was the argument if the United States should re-enact the draft or mandate a different national service one that was founded in the New Deal from the great depression. Communities are discussing that by re-enacting the draft, will the government step up and help reduce the price of education.

5) Two links that helped provide me with information were https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2024.html . This website helped with showing which countries have any form of national service. Along with http://www.studyineurope.eu/tuition-fees, I was able to compare which countries have any form of national service and see if it has any correlation with its cost of education.

6) The main controversy regarding my topic are those who oppose mandating a mandatory draft for the military or national service and those who are for it. Those who are against, argue that not every person should have to sign up and do national service in exchange for cheaper education. Those who support the issue say they wish that there were more opportunities to receive a stipend education by doing some form of national service

No comments:

Post a Comment